Mefjord Brygge’s suggested highlights!
In the two below sections you will find information about points of interest around Senja, as well as just nearby Mefjord Brygge. Enjoy!
Mefjord Brygge’s suggested highlights around Senja
- Mefjord Brygge – your base camp for adventures!
- Hike to Skøytneset (2-3 hours round trip) (start by walking from Mefjord Brygge)
- Hike to Kyle (2 hours round trip) (great to see the midnight sun from the top of the mountain)
- Hike to Roalden (4 hours round trip) (medium difficulty, very scenic route with great views)
- Hike to Segla (3 hours round trip) (an easy hike that will take you to a spectacular drop under your feet)
- Hike to Breidtinden - the top of Senja (difficult one, only for advanced and only in the good weather) (5 hours round trip)
- Ersfjord Beach – beautiful sandy beach between the fjords. You will get an illusion that it is some sort of tropical island with snow-capped mountains. The illusion, however, might be broken as soon as you try to dip your feet in the water. It may be too cold for you, but kids, especially local ones, love it!
- Tungeneset – scenic viewpoint and observation point for northern lights. From there you will see Okshornan – the icon of Senja
- Bøvær – another beautiful beach, if you are lucky you will see some seals
- Kråkeslottet – “Crow’s nest”. A very intriguing and interesting house built on a pier, it became famous thanks to TV reality show based there
- Bergsbotn viewing platform – great to see the northern lights over the Bergsfjord
- Senjatrollet, the world’s biggest, and most likely the ugliest troll (as of 2019 - currently burned down!)
- Hike to Husfjellet (easy hike with magnificent views on both sides of the fjord – 3 hours round trip)
- Husøy – quite an interesting village. It is densely populated because of limited space – it is located on a little island. Inhabitants are producing salmon. There is a short walk that will take you to the lighthouse
Please remember that some of the highlights are only seasonal
Suggested trips within walking distance from Mefjord Brygge
In Mefjordvær you will find a very unique path network that is created under the auspices of Mefjordvær Bygdelag (Mefjordvær village association) and local people. The hiking trails are well marked and in some places wooden bridges/paths are prepared so usually you can pass without making your shoes wet. The paths go around Mefjordvær lowlands and on this tour you will find picnic areas, shelters and viewpoints to take a picture.
- Mefjord Brygge – main building
- Historical stone pier in Mefjordvær – short walk will take you to Scandinavia's largest pier as the ocean overflows when it storms. In calm weather you can walk around and meet locals.
- Walk past the village – great for Northern Lights / Midnight Sun
- Picnic area on the top of football field – no light pollution, great for Northern Lights. Also a starting point to hike up Knuten (5) or continue towards network of footpaths
- Knuten –easy access trail will take you to a small hill Knuten. At the top there is a viewpoint. You will be amazed by panoramic views of the fjord, mountains and Mefjordvær. It is possible to come back or continue via lighthouse on the other side of the hill (about 30-45 minutes trip)
- Russehula – “Russian cave”. Discover some of the local history. From there you can continue towards the viewpoint Skøytneset (about 2-3 h round trip)
- Starting point to a nearby mountain Kyle (about 2 h round trip)
- Top of Kyle (503 m) - if you make to the top, remember to sign in the guestbook
- Access point (the same as “4”) to the local network of footpaths and huts to make picnic. Explore the area around the lakes and in the forests. Also great for snowshoeing and cross country skiing in winter
- Mykjeneset – another scenic view point, to see the midnight sun (summer) or northern lights (winter)
It is essential to take necessary precautions when going out to explore nature - we take no responsibility for not using common sense and being negligent about weather and other conditions
More Activities? explore and make most of your time
“It is arguably the most spectacular phenomena of nature one can ever see”
Spotting northern lights is one of top winter activities and a reason for many guests to visit the Arctic region.
Aurora Borealis safari can be made as an organize tour, where we can take care of everything, starting and finishing at the airport or you can design your individual adventure and be on your own if you prefer.
The more distance from Arctic settlements the better location to see the northern lights. It may sound too good to be true, but the fact is that Senja has to be considered Europe's top destination for northern lights spotting for number of reasons:
- Relaxed atmosphere and untouched nature, as opposed to more popular areas widely visited by tourists.
- Mefjord Brygge is a very remote location and around there is almost no civilization causing light pollution, so on a good weather day the sky is perfectly clear
- Good places to spot the northern lights start within just a short walk to a nearby vantage point Knuten, or a bit further at Tungeneset and many other spots within a short drive
- Thanks to warm Gulf Stream touching outer edges of Senja, the winter is never too cold here, so it is more comfortable to stay outside for longer periods
- Starting from late summer throughout fall and winter we have excellent possibilities to see this one of the most eerie and surreal phenomena of nature.
See you in the northern lights hunting season!
Thanks to our location in the north of Arctic Circle, our guests can enjoy midnight sun - amazing experience that lets you walk all night long without noticing that it is getting any darker.
You can read a book, sit outside and drink coffee, go for a mountain hike to enjoy the view or disappear in the woods to take advantage of one of our wooden shelters and make a bonfire with a group of friends.
This is what you are going to experience from middle of May until beginning of August
Now let's add some information for enthusiasts 🙂
The picture below shows the sun path above the visible part of the sky
This diagram shows how many daylight hours (as well as dusk/dawn and night hours) we get at different times of year.
For more details, please visit: http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/tromso.html
“Senja is great for hiking and Mefjord Brygge is an excellent starting point - everywhere is just so close and the options are so abundant!”
You can choose among different routes, ranging from simple small trips in the lowlands through moderate and advanced, more demanding summit hikes. Most of the suggested trails are marked, but for some o them a good map and GPS with loaded tracks is essential.
You can hike or run on your own, or you can hire an experienced guide who will exactly show you the way and also will explain some of natural history, share his experiences and practical outdoor knowledge.
There are literally limitless trips matching any level of fitness. Most recommended hikes include day trips to Kyle, Roalden, Segla, Keipen, Barden, Husfjellet, Breitinden. There are many more. To get more information just come over at the reception for detailed descriptions of the tours. We also have maps and professional guidebooks for sale.
Traveling by bike is a great way to enrich your experience.
We recommend one of the three ways to do it.
- Bring your own bike and make travel arrangements according to your personalized itinerary and preferences. We will be happy to offer you accommodation and food. Make reservations in advance as summer tends to be quite busy!
- We offer bike rental (NOK 149 half-day / NOK 199 full day). Discounts for multi-day rentals. It is a nice way to explore surroundings while you are staying at Mefjord Brygge - just inquire at the reception and go for a day trip of exploring the area on two wheels.
- Join Biking The Arctic Coast of Norway tours organized by our partners at Discover Norway. There are two tours involving Senja and Mefjord Brygge: Senja - Cycling roundtrip and Arctic Coast Cycling
There are good opportunities for freshwater fishing around Mefjordvær.
Just about 300 meters from Mefjord Brygge you will find a river that flows into the sea. It is possible to go for trout fishing along the river up to the lakes some hundred meters upstream. The lakes are called Lillevannet, Storvannet og Smådalsvannet.
At Storvannet there is a shelter made by Mefjordvær Bygdelag that is free to use by everyone. It is important to clean it after use. Mostly you will get small fish, but with a bit of good luck you may catch a fish of around 1/2 kg.
Fresh water fishing license is needed and it can be acquired online.
Just off the shore you can easily catch some crabs, marulk (a small-size monkfish) and some other small fish. You can also walk on the rocks with your little adventurers to search for crabs, some seafood and tangsprell (a small, not dangerous worm-fish). This is a nice way to train balance while hoping from one rock onto another, as well as develop kid's outdoor skills and experience the nature. Kids love it!
Some mountains allow for all winter freeriding and going off-piste. Because there is no lifts around, you will be ski touring to some of the earth's most remote skiing locations. ring. so . You will have to climb your mountain, stop for a minute without thinking about anything at the top, take a deep breath and feel the adrenaline of going down in fresh powder, most likely being the only one in the area.
Ski touring is addictive, exhausting and adrenalin-pumping. Mefjord Brygge is a perfect starting point for Senja's peaks, such as Keipen, Store Hesten, Roalden, Burstind, Stormoa, Kvænan, just to name a few.
Important note: The avalanche equipment and appropriate mountaineering experience is essential.
The most reliable information about current avalanche information you will find here: http://www.varsom.no/en/Snow-avalanche/Senja/
We can arrange a guide for you and your group - you can check for details in our guided activities section.
During winter season we have around 5 km of cross-country tracks prepared with a snowmobile. It is meant to be for classic skiing, however sometimes the snow conditions allow for skating in the open area as well. The tracks go all around Mefjordvær, pass a couple of lakes and touch the foothills of nearby mountains. The gateway is just outside Mefjord Brygge.
In addition to that, just 4km away in Senjahopen there is a well maintained track for skating (approximately 6 km)
Long winter on Senja and its diversified terrain allow for practicing winter mountaineering. You can choose from ice-climbing, waterfall climbing and technical skiing combined with climbing adventure. Some experienced guests choose to do it on their own, but if needed we cooperate with experienced guides and can organize a tour adjusted to your skills and needs.
There are various beaches around the outer edge of Senja, which are fantastic for this type of activity.
Some of them are Bovær, Ersfjord and Laukvik.
Choose beach depending on the wind direction - talk to the locals.
“Where the road ends the adventure begins” - this is especially true when it comes to summer time in Mefjordvær
Upon reaching the very end of the road you will get this unique feeling of reaching the end of the world.
Yes, all is left ahead is the infinite expanse of body of water. The mouth of Mefjord is facing the north, so you can observe midnight sun right here throughout summer, look at massive body of water all year round and observe Northern Lights in the autumn and winter season.
Just imagine taking lovely walk at midnight and admiring the beauty of nature as it has been created millions of years ago. You will get the best view from a nearby vantage point Knuten, a hilltop overlooking our idyllic fishing village.
“Try to make it here before the sunset”, is a funny thing to say during summer, keeping in mind that from mid-May to early August the sun never goes below horizon!
In addition to all these activities, don't forget about our restaurant serving great food. A home-made traditional dish after a nice day of exploring the nature - a perfect combination.
There are more ways to indulge yourself after an active day. We offer sauna, hot-tub and barbecue hut, as a suggestion for finishing off your day of Senja experiences.
More information you can get at our reception, activity office or by phone (+47) 415-49-100