DIRECTIONS TO MEFJORD BRYGGE
How to reach your adventure destination on Senja?
The short answer is: It is easier than you think
The long answer is below
Mefjord Brygge on Sejna island in the north of Norway
- Mefjord Brygge is accessible all year round by a paved road
- Senja is an island linked with mainland by a bridge. Finnsnes, the town on the other side is 1 hour / 70 km away
- The nearest airports are Bardufoss (less than 2 hours away) and Tromsø airport is 2.5 - 3.5 hours away
- There are numerous ferries and express boat connecting Senja with other destinations
- Finnsnes - 70 km / 1 h
- Narvik - 215 km / 3.5 h
- Tromsø - 95 km / 2.5 h (with a summer ferry) or 230 km / 3.5 h (driving around)
- Bardufoss Airport - 115 km / 2h
- Lysnes - 33 km / 30 min
- Botnhamn - 32km / 30 min
- Hamn i Senja - 46km / 55 min
- Gryllefjord - 57 km / 1 h
A CLOSER LOOK at transportation options
Take a look at the situation map and see the details of interesting route below
There are two main roads if you are driving or cycling from mainland (via Finnsnes). The northern one (via Lysnes) is slightly shorter, but it is worth to take the other one on the way. Both offer scenic views across Senja.
Express boat from Tromsø / Harstad to Finnsnes
There are two types of these boats: Express Boat or Hurtigruten (covered in another section)
You can get on the boat either in the north (Tromsø) or the south (ie. Harstad). You need to get off in Finnsnes, from there it is 1 hour to Mefjord Brygge
Express passenger boat #4 from Tromsø to Lysnes
Fast passenger boat operates between Tromsø and Lysnes (only 30 minutes away from Mefjordvær)
The boat is synchronized with public bus that will take you directly to Mefjord Brygge
This is the fastest and most convenient connection with Tromsø, however, it is not available everyday
Car ferry #181 from Brensholmen to Botnhamn
In summer season you can take a ferry operating between Brensholmen (Kvaløya) and Botnhamn (Senja).
Botnhamn is roughly 30 minutes away from Mefjord Brygge.
Brensholmen is about 1 hour drive from Tromsø.
It is also a popular and recommended cycling route.
Hurtigruten from Tromsø / Harstad to Finnsnes
There are two types of these boats: Hurtigruten and Express Boat (covered in another section)
By Hurtigruten ferry (Station FINNSNES)
- You need to get off in Finnsnes, from there it is 1 hour to Mefjord Brygge
- The nearest ports to get on are Tromsø (north) and Harstad (south)
- Hurtigruten south leaves Tromsø at 1:30 AM and arrive to Finnsnes at 4:30 AM
- Hurtigruten north leaves Finnsnes 11:45 AM and arrive to Tromsø at 2:45 PM
See the current timetable and more information: www.hurtigruten.com
The closest airports are Tromsø and Bardufoss. Third alternative airport is Evenes/Narvik.
We offer airport pickup/drop-off service. There is also a number of car rental companies at each of the airports
Most travelers like to use Senja Travel Planner for itineraries and ferry / boat / bus connections. If you are into finding your own ways, this may turn to be a handy tool
There are also some bus connections on Senja. For example, lines 370 and 362 serve Mefjordvær. Unfortunately these are not frequent connections and the hours of service are also very limited so if you plan on relying on public transportation, please study the timetable and a plan in advance.