In the recent years Mefjord Brygge has became a leading regional holiday resort and despite wide expansion of our all year round product portfolio, we still consider fishing holidays as the most popular activity chosen by our guests.
Most of our fishing guests are loyal, returning customers to whom some of the information on this page may seem obvious, but we would like to present some useful information for those who have not yet visited Mefjord Brygge for fishing.
On this page we would like to kindly introduce you to essential information, tell you about our boats, types of fish you can get and show you our state-of-the-art facilities.
Visit us for the first time and you will be happy to come back for more fishing adventures!
Boat rental fees
19 feet aluminum Kværnø boats
Boat rental fee is NOK 1400 per day (1-4 days) or NOK 1200 per day (min. 5 days)
Included in the boat rental price
Not included in the rental price:
MAR - OCT
anglers per boat
long-term daily rate (5+ days)
short-term daily rate (1 - 4 days)
When you arrive : step by step
- Our friendly staff will show you our accommodation and give you the key to your apartment
- We will show you the boat and explain important things about safety, using the boat and practical information.
- We will sign a contract and take a deposit of NOK 4000 (or € 400) per boat.
- All boat rentals have GoFish fee and insurance included in the rental price (new from 2020) (see FAQ section for more details).
- Your fishing holiday starts!
- The deposit will be returned upon check-out when fuel and other expenses are paid as well as the boat and accommodation are cleaned and filled up.
Please make sure you watch our briefing video about fishing, using the boat and safety. It is very important to know all this information before you start your fishing holidays in Mefjord Brygge. Welcome to unforgettable deep sea fishing!
Checklist before, during and after fishing
Always have a mobile phone with you onboard
Always wear a lifevest or flotation suit
Watch out for marine traffic
Never fish under the influence of alcohol
Always have at least 40 litres (2 tanks) of fuel
Observe the weather forecast as it can change quickly
Log-in to GoFish tablet before fishing
Register the catch with GoFish system when you return
Do not take too much fish. Export limit is 20 kg per person
Park the boat by the spot with a correct number and secure it with 4 ropes
We offer rental of 19 feet Kværnø aluminum boats.
There are 20 boats parked at our three floating piers.
Each of the boats is equipped with 50 horsepower four stroke Yamaha engine. Boats have a large screen Garmin GPS system with chart plotter, depth sounder and fish finder.
Kværnø boats have a good reputation of being very reliable and safe for the varying conditions inside the fjord and at at open ocean. We are a very innovative company and a pioneer in using modern safety systems. The boats are equipped with two independent safety systems: AIS (Automatic Identification System) and GoFish to improve security and safety. This makes sure we can follow your boat's position from the land and send a rescue boat in case of any emergency.
The boat is in good hands. Your hands!
Each boat is delivered with:
- Yamaha 50 HP four-stroke fuel engine
- Garmin GPS with depth sounder
- 60 liters of fuel (main tank of 20 liters + 2 canisters of 20 liters each)
- 2 plastic fish boxes marked with a boat number to keep your fish
- 1 gaff to take the fish up to the boat
- 1 bucket to rinse boat with water to remove any leftovers each day after fishing
- 1 rope for emergency towing
When you are about to check-out, please return the boat clean and fully tanked with all the equipment in place as it was at the check in to make the check out faster and easier.
If there are some remarks or if extra cleaning is needed, then we may apply an extra cleaning fee of 500 NOK per boat and/or cost of missing / broken equipment
Refilling the fuel
- It is forbidden to use your own fuel
- You can get fuel canisters from our shop during the opening hours
- The price is 370 NOK / 40 EUR per 20 liters
Operating the boat
- It is strictly forbidden to use the boat under the influence of alcohol
- Boats are numbered and each has its own mooring point
- Always use 4 ropes to secure the boat
- It is obligatory to wear a life vest or a flotation suit at all times when using the boat
Take a look at our boat and explore the info points below
Holders to fishing rodsRopes
There are four points to attach four docking ropes once fishing is done
50 horsepower four-stroke Yamaha engineGPS
Garmin GPS with maps, chart plotter, depth sounder and fish finderSeating area
Comfortable seating for 2 persons plus extra persons on the top storage space behindAIS
Transmitters for AIS (Automatic Identification System) and GoFish, independent safety systems.Steering wheel
Steering wheelThrottle & clutch
Throttle & clutchStorage
Storage space for fishing equipment and fish boxes
Mefjord Brygge's quality and service
Each year we perform detailed service on all of our boats. That includes detailed cleaning inside and outside with a special cleansing agent, external painting, servicing the engine and overall maintenance. The full service takes place in the end of fishing season and periodical service is in the middle of the season.
Our boats are top quality, well maintained and taken care of. Paired with state-of-the-art safety systems and reliable parts, we are way ahead of nowadays standards and can proudly say to be top tier fishing resort in Norway.
- We have chief engineer and electric engineer on our payroll. This means we are able to handle a vast range of technical issues in a reliable and fast way whenever it is needed. It is way ahead of typical fishing camp that may not have such know-how
- We store our boats inside a modern storage facility during winter
- We have full service history on all our boats
- All electric connections are checked and changed if they have corrosion or rust
- The engine maintenance includes changing all oils, filters, spare plugs and anything else that is needed. All the maintenance routines are performed with even higher extent than normally required by the engine manufacturer
- Our engines usually run for around 2000 hours before we change them – this is less than half way for a Yamaha engine's lifespan.
Each boat has its life cycle at Mefjord Brygge, so depending on the year, we may sell 2-3 boats at the end of season and buy brand new Kværnø boats delivered at the beginning of the next season. This way all our fleet is always up to date, fresh and in excellent working condition with all the latest improvements.
Mefjord Brygge lies close to some of coastal Norway's best deep sea fishing grounds. In this section we will explain a little bit about fishing season and types of fish you can get.
A short summary below is what you can expect - please be aware that it is just an estimate based on historical observations. Nature is unpredictable so the actual experiences can be completely different.
6+ months of fishing season.
Skrei (big cod) season
Fishing season starts with skrei season. Usually March and April are very good months to catch large cod, that is seasonally coming to our fjords from Barents Sea. You can expect to catch trophies in the range 20-30kg or even more than that.
Temperature oscillates between -5º and +8º Celsius. There can be some days with bad weather limiting fishing possibilities. This is the season for enthusiast anglers.
Summer fishing season
In the summer time, beside local cod you will catch more of the other fish species such as halibut, coalfish, haddock, catfish, red fish, cusk, flounder or monk fish. The size of the fish varies, but most desirable ones include big halibuts and catfish.
The outside temperature tends to be warmer and typically bad weather for fishing is less than 1 day per week. At this time of the year daylight is 24 hours a day!
Halibut fishing season
Statistically the best months for Halibut fishing have been May and from August till end of fishing season. In the period of September and October you have higher chances of catching big coalfish (up to 15kg) and catching a halibut. Sizes of 40-60kg+ are quite common.
Weather in May, September and October, though outside summer, it tends to be more steady than in early season March/April. We recommend these months for catching variety of species with good chances of getting a halibut!
Registering the catch and exporting fish
Our staff will create a GoFish account for you to register your trips and daily catch in an online system. It is imposed by Norwegian law.
Easy to use!
Norwegian regulations allow you to take up to 20 kg of fish fillet outside Norway with a valid GoFish certificate (we provide it at check-out)
20 kg per person
Catch & release
Save the environment and preserve natural resources. Simply use catch & release when you get close to fishing limit.
You can export 20kg of fish with a GoFish certificate or 10 kg without such certificate. Trophy fish counts towards that limit
We have a range of facilities to make sure your fishing holiday are comfortable and of the highest quality.
Filleting room & freezer
We have two spacious filleting rooms and one industrial-size freezer with constant temperature of below -20°C for keeping your fish properly frozen before taking it home.
To make a holiday more comfortable for yourself and the other guests, please follow these simple rules:
- please keep the filleting room clean by rinsing it with fresh water after filleting your catch
- please do not leave fish leftover overnight - instead drive the boat and trow them into the ocean at least a hundred meters away
- keep all your fish on one of the shelves available, if possible inside thermal container - this way it will also be easier to take it home
Mefjord Brygge's Fishing Shop & drying room
We have an onsite fishing shop that has all the essential fishing equipment on sale or for rent:
- fish tackle (baits, pilkers, reel, rods, line etc.)
- outdoor clothing (flotation suits, warm clothes, gloves, hats, etc.)
- other useful equipment and tools (filleting knives etc.)
- souvenirs and more
Our shop is also a place where you check-in, check-out, get fuel for the boats and come if you have any questions.
Our fishing shop is open at specified times during the day (see the notice on the door).
We accept cash and card payments. It is also possible to pay in EUR. All sales need to be paid on the spot.
- Next door to our shop you will find a drying room where you can also change your clothes and use the toilet if needed
- Just beside you will also find life-jackets. If you are not using flotation suit, the use of life-jackets is obligatory (free of charge)
Transfers to supermarket in Senjahopen
We offer easy way to do daily shopping in nearby supermarket (4km away in Senjahopen) for guests who have arrived with a plane.
Shop is open from 10.00 to 20.00 (Monday to Friday) and 10.00 to 15.00 on Saturday.
Supermarket transfers can be organized at specified times of the day (ask our staff for detailed information).
The cost is NOK 100 per trip. Please book the transfer in advance.
More ways to enjoy your stay
We offer extra services to make most of your stay:
- fishing guide
- fillet cutting & fish packing service
- restaurant serving great Norwegian food
- bar where you can talk with fellow travelers and taste local beer
- sauna and hot-tub to relax after an active day
- BBQ hut for a cozy evening
- room service & catering possibilities
Ask our staff for detailed information or to make a reservation
FAQ - let's talk about fish!
There are many fishing grounds easily accessible from Mefjord Brygge.
Some of them become more popular at certain times during the season (for example, to catch a big halibut or skrei cod).
Out friendly staff will be happy to show you some of the recommended places for fishing. You will get this information during briefing and check in process for the boats.
Here are handy coordinates for some of the recommended fishing spots:
- Andgrunn N69 33.212 E17 22.720
- Bastianskolten N69 36.177 E17 23.865
- Bregdeboen N69 32.816 E17 27.764
- Fallbakken N69 30.437 E16 56.441
- Grunnboen N69 32.753 E17 12.699
- Haera N69 39.162 E17 30.905
- Inre Fallan N69 33.653 E17 25.155
- Kylgrunn N69 34.067 E17 13.106
- Oygrunn N69 35.624 E17 21.178
- Purkegrunn N69 37.737 E17 36.224
- Skjaeret N69 28.872 E17 36.159
- Skreigrunddjupet N69 33.072 E17 08.161
- Ytre Fallan N69 33.797 E17 24.393
March and April - this is definitely the best month for fishing large cod called 'skrei', reaching up to 30-40 kg. This type of cod comes down from the Barents Sea in the end of December and stays till the end of April or early May around Senja. Skrei has distinctive white body color, as opposed to coastal cod which has a bit golden-brown body texture acquired from sea plants. This is very easy to see for an experienced fisherman. Skrei is traveler-type cod, thus having more physical fitness and better developed muscles, therefore it is considered to be a better quality fish to eat. It is very clean and white. At this time of the year you will be side by side with local fishermen who fish for cod and you will experience how real cod fishing is done! Besides cod (which at this time of the year is the most frequest fish) you can also fish other species you would get in the remaining period of fishing season.
May, June and July - in this period you will catch more of the other fish species such as halibut, pollack, haddock, catfish, red fish, flounder and monk fish. At this time small and medium-sized coalfish move into fjord - those which weigh up to 5 kg, while the bigger ones stay outside the fjord.
August, September and October - in this period you will catch the the same species as in May-July. The main difference is that in late summer you will get bigger coalfish, reaching about 4 to 15 kg, also in the fjord! At this time the chances of catching a big 40-60kg+ halibut are significantly higher! Usually, August and September are the best months for halibut trophy fishing. Regarding weather in September and early October, you can compare it in terms of temperature and wind to May.
A fishing package includes accommodation and rental of fishing boat(s). The sample itinerary can be as follows:
Arrival. We pickup the guests from the airport, or the guests arrive with private/rental cars. Check in, information about the area, boats, fishing spots and safety.
Fishing. Guests can start fishing right after check in. On subsequent days most of guests start fishing in the morning, visit different fishing spots during the day, come back and spend some part of the afternoon cutting and filleting their catch of the day, enjoying company of other tourists and sharing their experiences.
Departure day. The guests take their fish fillet from freezing room and after check-out they are transferred to the airport or leave in private cars.
We offer some standard packages (self-catered accommodation and boats) as well as custom ones to fit individual needs, for example, including guided services or food in the restaurant.
In the event of an accident, a boat owner will cover the cost of repairs in excess of participation fee. The client will only pay the participation fee for the boat which he is responsible. The participation amount is EUR 200 EUR / NOK 2000.
Insurance will cover damage caused accidentally or caused by unpredictable conditions when using the boat according to safety rules.
Insurance does not cover, any damage caused by improper securing of boats to a pier, any highly negligent acts, using the boat in shallow area, using the boat in weather considered to be not suitable for fishing and STRICTLY any alcohol related accidents.